25.10.13

So I am posting again. I haven't been this twitterpated in a very long time. I feel like I have found a long lost sister and or brother. I recently read a blog, The Weed. To understand why this blog is so amazing I need to explain the search I have been on.

I married into a mixed orientation marriage. I am straight, and my husband is gay. As you might imagine this presents some very unique marital issues. Marriage is hard enough as it is. We both knew this would be hard. We chose it any way. There are millions of books on marriage and how to have a good marriage and how to improve your marriage, how to deal with cheating husbands, how to deal with forgiving each other, how to over come abusive personalities, the list goes on. There are NO books, blogs, websites, or support groups for mixed orientation marriages. No one is talking about it. There are websites about women who married gay men and how to get out of marriages like that. That was not the advice I am looking for.  I will admit I was looking for an oracle type advice fountain to reassure me that things would "work". I have long since realized that the same principles that apply to "straight" marriages apply to my marriage.  What the blog "The Weed" provided was a common experience check point. After long nights of searching and wondering if my faith in my husband and I was right or not I found the "Weeds" who have been at it years longer than my husband and I. The joy can't even be described. They get it. They know what it means to choose love. They know what it means to put a different priority on sex and sexual ego.

Their love story is beautiful no matter what their sexual orientation is, but even more powerful to me is the community they are building. We are not alone, no we are not aliens either. They have loving started calling themselves unicorns. I don't know how much my husband likes that, but I am happy to have a community to be a part of. One that gets the needs, feelings, situations that are unique to our world. I have a place to turn. It is fun to part of something that is just starting to exist. The "outside" world has a lot to say about our little community. Straight and Gay a like, most of it is so misguided. Some people get it though. They see the power in what is happening. I just had to share this.

**** Disclaimer*** I wrote this about a year or two ago but didn't get around to publishing it until now****

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing the support one can find when you know where to turn, entrust yourself to a community

    ReplyDelete